From its canals to its world-famous museums and from its historical sights to its nightlife, Amsterdam is one of the most unique and beautiful cities in Europe. If you’re still on the fence about visiting, here are some reasons why should visit Amsterdam:
- Though Amsterdam is quite small, it has all the advantages of a big city: history, culture, nightlife, international restaurants, excellent public transport – but it is quiet, the air is relatively clean and largely thanks to the signature canals, traffic is light. Qualities like this probably made Amsterdam the #17 most popular tourist destination in the world!
- Some of the best museums in the world: the Rijksmuseum, Anne Frank House and van Gogh Museum are only the most famous. Amsterdam is a museum lover’s dream. Find a extensive list of museums in Amsterdam here.
- Find out why Amsterdam has been called the Venice of the north: Take a stroll along the Amstel river, enjoy city beaches along the IJ, take a canal cruise, or visit the Markermeer just North of the city.
- Amsterdam is one of the safest big cities in the world.
- Amsterdam’s reputation as a party city is well deserved. Enjoy the great nightlife with hundreds of bars, clubs and cafes in all shapes, sizes and colours. From little hole in the wall bars to trendy clubs, from jazz clubs to literary cafes, from student clubs to upscale bars, Amsterdam has it all.
- Shop till you drop: Shop in the lovely ‘negen straatjes’, the big chain stores in the Kalverstraat, the designer shops along the P.C. Hooftstraat, antique shops in the Spiegelkwartier, art galleries in the trendy Jordaan or explore one of Amsterdam’s many markets. It’s all within walking distance.
- Schiphol Airport is a gateway to Europe, so Amsterdam is easy to get to from pretty much anywhere in the world and it’s a great starting point for exploring Europe.