Traditional Dutch pancakes are a wonderful way to sample Dutch cuisine. They are delicious and there is so much variety, that there is a pancake to suit everybody: sweet or savory, with fruit, vegetables, meat or fish, or even ice cream. Kids love them. They are so big they’re a full meal.
Here are the five best places to eat pancakes in Amsterdam.
- De Witte Swaen (The White Swan) in Broek in Waterland. Technically this restaurant is not in Amsterdam, but in the lovely and picturesque village Broek in Waterland just outside Amsterdam, about 15 mins by bus from Central Station. This pancake house makes by far the best pancakes I’ve ever eaten and I’ve been eating pancakes for over three decades. You can’t really beat the location either. Broek in Waterland is a beautiful 17th century village, an easy one hour bike ride or mere 15 minutes by bus away from Central Station. Worth the trip!
- Pancakes! Amsterdam. A little pancake restaurant in the hip 9 Straatjes. Delicious Dutch and American style pancakes. Pancakes! uses honest, local and organic produce as much as possible. This little restaurant can get really crowded, so reserve a table or come early or later than popular lunch and dinner times.
- Pannenkoekenhuis Upstairs. Delicious pancakes in a tiny restaurant (and by tiny I mean one of the smallest restaurants in Europe) at the top of some very narrow stairs. There are only 4 tables, so make reservations!
- The Pancake Boat. The pancakes are not the best you’ll ever have, but the Pancake boat offers an unique experience: All you can eat pancakes during a fun and beautiful boat ride on the IJ. There’s a little indoor playground on the boat. A great activity for kids!
- Boerderij Meerzicht. A traditional Pancake house in the Amsterdamse Bos. A little out the way, but a great place to go with children. The Amsterdamse Bos is a huge park/forest ( three times the size of Central Park in New York), with playgrounds, a swimming pool and lots of other activities for children. Boerderij Meerzicht is very child friendly and has a petting zoo, an orchard and a playground. Seating both inside and outside.